Below are answers to some common questions about our website design services. Please do get in touch if you require further information or a quote.
- What types of website do you offer?
- We are very flexible in terms of the websites we can provide. In particular, we specialise in building sites for small and medium-sized businesses. However, so we can also meet the needs of public and private organisations, and individuals, who wish to have a presence on the web. Whatever type of site you require we will carefully design it with your specific needs and aims in mind.
- 'Business card' websites – A simple one-page site with basic information such as your line of business, location and contact details. A low-cost way to establish a presence on the web for the first time.
- Multi-page sites – Whatever information you wish to convey, we will work with you to create a great-looking easy-to-navigate site carefully built to fulfil your requirements.
- Simple shopping carts – A low cost but effective solution if you want to offer a small range of products for sale online. We will design an easy-to-use interface that makes it straightforward for people to discover and order your products and services. Payments are usually handled by established and widely used third parties such as Worldpay or Paypal.
- Content management systems – An easy way to keep your website up to date. Use a special interface to securely edit pages from within your web browser while not compromising on your site's appearance or functionality. We endeavour to create sites that are easy to maintain, so we offer content management systems as standard with the majority of sites that we build.
We can also improve existing websites. If your site is failing to meet your needs, is looking dated, or simply requires updating then we are able to help.
- What is the process involved?
This is an overview of the steps involved in working together to build a new website. In practice, the process may vary depending on the circumstances.
- First we will discuss what sort of website you require and what your aims are for it. An overall plan for the site's layout and structure will then be established.
- At this point you will be given a quote for the cost of your website.
- Assuming that you wish to proceed, you will now need to provide the information necessary for the site to be built. This includes the main text that will appear on the pages and any specific images or photographs that you want to include. You will also have the opportunity to provide as much input as you wish into your site's appearance and functionality.
- Your website will now be put together and once completed it will be made available for you to view. You will then be able to request changes or
raise any issues and these will be addressed. For larger sites, you will also be given the opportunity to view and comment on your site at intermediate stages during its construction.
- Once you are entirely satisfied with your site, an invoice will be sent, and it will be published online and submitted to major web search engines, such as Google.
- What information do I need to provide?
- In general terms, the more information you provide the better, because this will help us to tailor your site to your requirements.
There are some specific things we require:
- The main text that you wish to appear on your website.
- Any photographs, logos or other specific images that you want to include. Don't worry if you don't have the necessary images: we can, for example, digitise photographs or create logos and other graphics for you.
- Requirements you have about the site's appearance. For example, if you want a particular colour scheme or page layout. If you don't specify these things then we will be happy to make the decisions for you.
- How long will my website take?
This will depend on the size and complexity of the site in question. A small website is usually completed about a week after the necessary information has been received from the client. In any case, we will be able to give you an estimate concerning how long it will take at an early stage.
- How will people find my website?
Your website will be submitted to major web search engines (e.g. Google, Microsoft Live Search, Yahoo). In addition, your website will be optimised to maximise its ranking on these sites.
- Will my lack of computer knowledge be a problem?
No. While technical knowledge of computers and the Internet is helpful it certainly isn't essential. We will endeavour to do everything we can to make the process as straightforward and understandable as possible.
- How will I keep my site up to date?
We recognise that for you to get the maximum benefit from your site, it is important that you are able to make updates quickly and easily. With this in mind, the majority of sites we build come with software that enables you to smoothly make everyday changes using just your web browser.
This software is known as a content management system. It is a hassle free way to complete common tasks such as adding new content, updating existing text, uploading images, and so on.
Should you need to regularly add specific types of information to your site, we can configure the software to enable you to do this as straightforwardly as possible. Such tasks could include adding events to a calendar or adding new products to an online store.
Occasionally, you might need to make more complex changes to your site. We are able to do this for you at our hourly rate.
- What are the costs involved?
- Building your website – The price will depend on the size and complexity of the site that you require.
- Domain name registration – You will require a domain name for your site. This is the address people will use to get to your website - they typically look like:
www.website.com. Domain names usually cost a few pounds a year. We will take care of domain name registration and renewal for you. Although it's no problem if you have already registered a domain name or you wish to do so yourself.
- Hosting – This refers to the service of placing your site on a server so that people can access it over the web. Hosting is paid for annually. You have the option of taking care of your own hosting, however, it is easier to let us sort it out for you.
- Updating – Once your website is finished you may from time to time wish to make changes. If you want us to do this for you then this work will be charged at our hourly rate.
More questions? Feel free to contact us here.